Complaint Process

How to File a Complaint

The Wyoming Division of Banking investigates consumer complaints when they involve state-chartered financial institutions and businesses that extend credit to consumers.  The Division of Banking investigates consumer complaints in those instances where there is evidence of possible violations of laws or regulations.  The Division is not empowered to intervene in private disputes or to represent individuals seeking personal remedies not involving state banking or consumer credit law.

Wyoming State-Chartered Banks or Trust Companies - Citizens who have concerns or complaints with state-chartered banks or trust companies located in the State of Wyoming may contact the Wyoming Division of Banking.

Before filing a written complaint, the Division encourages you to communicate directly with the financial institution.  If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may:

    • Write a letter describing the problem.
    • State your attempts to resolve the problem directly with the institution.
    • State what you think the institution should do to correct the problem.
    • Include copies (not your originals) of pertinent documentations to substantiate your complaint.
    • Include your mailing address and a daytime telephone number.

Complaint form          Word document            .pdf document

Send this information to:

Wyoming Division of Banking
Herschler Building, 3rd Floor East
122 West 25th Street
Cheyenne, WY 82002

Telephone number: (307) 777-7797

Or, you can send your complaint via e-mail to:

In the course of our investigation the Division reviews Wyoming laws and regulations.  We also contact the financial institution that is referred to in your complaint and ask that they mail a response to our office regarding the concerns you express in your letter.  We will mail our written response to you after our investigation is completed, but generally within three weeks of receiving your complaint.  

Back to Top

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation

Customer Assistance

The FDIC has a web page that lists resource materials that may be helpful to you in resolving a complaint or obtaining an answer to a question.

FDIC Customer Assistance Form:

Back to Top

Federal Reserve System

If you have a complaint about a bank or other financial institution, the Federal Reserve System might be able to help you.  The Federal Reserve is responsible for carrying out many of the federal laws that protect consumers in their dealings with financial institutions.  They have a web page that discusses how to file a consumer complaint about a bank. 

Back to Top

Wyoming National Banks, Federal Savings Banks or Credit Unions

Citizens who have concerns or complaints with national banks, federal savings banks or credit unions located in the State of Wyoming may contact the financial institution's federal regulator.  They are listed below.  If the name of the financial institution contains "N.A.," "National," "Federal," "FSB," "f.s.b.," or "FCU," it is a federally chartered financial institution. 

National Banks (N.A., National), Federal Savings Banks:

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450
Houston, TX 77010

Telephone number: (800) 613-6743
Facsimile number: (713) 336-4301
Website to access online customer complaint form:

Back to Top

Credit Unions (FCU):

National Credit Union Administration  
Director, Division of Supervision
1230 W. Washington Street, Suite 301
Tempe, AZ 85281

Telephone number: (602) 302-6000
Facsimile number: (602) 302-6024

Back to Top

Non-Depository Financial Services  


Money Transmitters
Mortgage Lenders and Brokers
Non-Lender Creditors
Post-dated Check Cashers
Pawn Brokers
Sales Finance Companies
Supervised Lender

If you have experienced problems with a business which provides consumer credit and cannot resolve the problem directly with the business, you may file a written complaint with our office.  You may print out a copy of the complaint form (Consumer Complaint Form) or contact the Division of Banking and a form will be mailed to you.  After completing the form, please mail it to: 

Wyoming Division of Banking
Uniform Consumer Credit Code
Herschler Building, 3rd Floor East
122 West 25th Street
Cheyenne, WY 82002

Telephone number: (307) 777-7797

Back to Top

Collection Agency 

If you have reason to believe that a Collection Agency has violated Wyoming law or regulations, you should review the following procedures and determine if a complaint should be filed with the Collection Agency Board.  Your complaint should provide a specific and detailed summary of the alleged violations of the statutes or rules and should include supporting documentation.  

Wyoming Statute 33-11-101 through 33-11-116, and the Rules and Regulations of the Collection Agency Board govern collection agencies licensed to conduct business in Wyoming (licensees) and are administered by the Wyoming Collection Agency Board.

The Board members, Division of Banking staff, and legal representatives cannot act as your attorney or provide legal advice or legal services, advise you of your rights in a given situation, or provide any other service that may constitute the practice of law.  

If you have knowledge that someone is carrying on the business of a collection agency without having obtained a license, you may notify the Collection Agency Board but may not file a complaint because complaints may only be filed against licensees.  

Procedures for filing a complaint
Complete the complaint form.  The form must be notarized.

The receipt of your complaint will be acknowledged by Division of Banking staff.  Your complaint will be reviewed by the Board where they will determine if they have jurisdiction and if the complaint warrants further investigation.  If both of these conditions are met, the Board Chairman will assign the complaint to an independent investigator who will investigate the matter.  The licensee will be advised the nature of the complaint.  A copy of the complaint will be provided to the licensee and they will be given the opportunity to respond to the allegations therein.  The Board may ultimately dismiss the complaint or hold a contested case hearing.  The complainant and the licensee will be advised of any action taken by the Board.

Send complaints to:

Wyoming Collection Agency Board
Department of Audit, Division of Banking
Herschler Building, 3rd Floor East
122 W. 25th Street
Cheyenne, WY 82002

Or, you can send your complaint via e-mail to:

How do I file a complaint against a collection agency from another state? 

Call our office and we will check our records to see if there is a licensing board or office in the state you need to contact.  If there is no licensing board or office, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission.  Their consumer hotline telephone number is (800) 382-4357. Their mailing address is Federal Trade Commission, Attn: Room 130, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC, 20580.  You can also obtain further information on their Internet website:

Aug 8, 2013, 12:31 PM
Aug 8, 2013, 12:31 PM
Aug 8, 2013, 12:31 PM