Home‎ > ‎Areas of Regulation‎ > ‎Consumer Lending‎ > ‎

License and Registration

Wyoming Uniform Consumer Credit Code

Uniform Consumer Credit Code Registrants/Licensees

1. Registered:  
  • Non-Lender Creditor - Persons who provide goods and /or services on a credit basis. (see bottom of page to download forms)
        • Retail merchants such as appliance, jewelry and furniture stores.
        • Dealerships such as auto, boat, motorcycle, motor home, mobile home, ATV, and RV's
        • Doctors, lawyers, veterinarians, accountants, dentists, hospitals, etc.
  • Registered Lender - Persons that directly lend money to consumers (generally excluding first lien mortgage loans) in which the rate does not exceed 10% per year. (see bottom of page to download forms)

2. LicensedEvery location where business is regularly conducted, including online transactions, must be licensed. Business is regularly conducted if annually your company extends credit for more than five (5) transactions secured by a dwelling or more than twenty five (25) transactions (not secured by a dwelling). 

  • Supervised Lender - Supervised lenders are entities that originate loans (generally excluding first lien mortgage loans) with rates that exceed 10% per year (supervised loans), or purchase supervised loans. 
  • Sales Finance Company - Sales finance companies are entities whose only business is purchasing retail installment sales and/or lease contracts which have been originated by a retail creditor or providing financing on behalf of sellers for consumer credit sales and/or lease transactions. 
  • Post-Dated Check Casher - Post-dated check cashers are entities that make post-dated check (payday) loans. Information on post-date check casher activity can be found at the following link: Post-Dated Check Casher Information Booklet
  • Pawnbroker - Pawnbrokers are entities that conduct pawn activities.  

How to Apply for a License?

The Wyoming Division of Banking requires all Supervised Lender, Sales Finance Company, Post-Dated Check Casher and Pawn Broker applications and license activity to be filed using the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS) at the following link: 

*Nationwide Multistate Licensing System*

**Questions relating to NMLS can be directed to the call center at 1-855-NMLS123**

 Please contact the Wyoming Division of Banking directly for the following:

Questions relating to licensing: 

Deanna Chafin
Phone: (307) 777-6485
Email: Deanna.chafin1@wyo.gov

Questions relating to regulation: 

Liz Hensley
Phone: (307) 777-7397
Email: liz.hensley@wyo.gov

How to Renew a License?

All licensed companies holding a Supervised Lender, Sales Finance Company, Pawnbroker or Post-Dated Check Casher License in Wyoming shall submit the renewal of their license through the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) between November 1st and December 1st. The NMLS Streamlined Renewal Process allows your company to conveniently manage the renewal of company, and/or branch licenses through your organization’s NMLS account.

Wyoming's renewal page on the NMLS with specific requirements for the State of Wyoming:

Please contact our office with your renewal questions: 307-777-6485 or by e-mail: deanna.chafin1@wyo.gov

Rent-to-Own License and Renewal Instructions

Rent-to-Own Rent-to-own entities offer merchandise under rental-purchase agreements. All locations that conduct rent-to-own activities in Wyoming must be licensed. (see bottom of page to download forms)

How to Apply for a License?

The application at the bottom of this page should be downloaded, completed and submitted to the attention of:

Deanna Chafin
Wyoming Division of Banking
2300 Capitol Ave, 2nd Fl
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Phone: (307) 777-6485
Email: Deanna.chafin1@wyo.gov

How to Renew a License?

All renewal applications will be emailed to all licensees around the beginning of May. If you do not receive a renewal application by May 15th,  please contact Deanna Chafin at (307) 777-6485 or via email at deanna.chafin1@wyo.gov.  

Complete the renewal application and return to the Division of Banking by June 1st.

Liz Hensley,
Apr 5, 2019, 8:32 AM
Liz Hensley,
Jan 23, 2020, 12:06 PM
Liz Hensley,
Apr 5, 2019, 9:05 AM